As of Monday, four more boys have been rescued out of the cave with a total of eight boys out and four more boys and their coach still remaining in the Tham Luang Nang Non cave.

The first boy rescued on Monday was taken by helicopter to the Chiang Rai hospital where the other boys are currently being treated. Former Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osotthanakorn said the second rescue involved many of the same divers who brought the four boys out on Sunday. The boys rescued are recovering but news outlets are saying the boys have yet to see their parents.

A family member said that they hadn’t been told which boys had been pulled out and which boys were still in the cave with the coach. The soccer team had been trapped in the cave for fifteen days before rescuers started trying to figure out how to get the boys and their coach out. The 12 boys and their coach had been exploring the caves after a soccer match when the rains caused the Tham Luang caverns to flood.

When rescuers finally started to work on how to get the 12 boys and their coach out there was a lot of options talked about. One option was to wait a couple of months for the rains to stop and the water to recede but the oxygen levels in the cave where dwindling so that wasn’t going to be an option for a long time. The other options were to drill from above, but that could also take time and money. The best option was to get the boys to dive out of the cave but that too brought its own hurdles, many of the boys in the team could not even swim.

In the middle of the operation, one of the trained Navy SEALS, Sgt. Saman Kunan died while working alongside rescuers as he was placing oxygen canisters underwater along the route to the stranded boys.

For today rescuers have finished the rescue attempts and are resting. If the weather permits the four remaining boys and their coach should be rescued by tomorrow.

{new york times}